• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

18-YEAR-OLD FRANCIS CASTILLO ON TRIAL AT CADIZ CF

• Thread starter Isabela Vernier
  • Start date
I

Isabela Vernier

From Pennsylvania to Spain’s La Liga; the Journey of American youth soccer player Francis Castillo

Francis Castillo, a talented youth soccer player hailing from Pennsylvania, embodies the essence of dedication and sacrifice in the pursuit of his dream to become a professional athlete. Born to parents from El Salvador and Nicaragua, the 18-year-old’s journey began on the sidelines of his father’s Sunday league matches in the USA, where he took his first steps.

As a youth soccer player, Francis has proudly represented clubs such as MLS’ Philadelphia Union, FC Delco, and Allentown United FC in Pennsylvania. In January 2024, Francis was called up to the Nicaragua National Team and now he has traveled across continents in the hopes of being offered a professional contract in Spain at La Liga’s Cadiz CF.

Francis is called “El Toro” (the bull) by his teammates because of the strength that he has in chasing every ball, and the winning mindset we need.

Guillermo de la Fuente, Tactical Analyst of the Nicaraguan National Team

Francis has played for Esperança de Lagos in Portugal and trained with Bundesliga giants FC Köln and Werder Bremen in Germany. His relentless pursuit of developing his skills is visibly by his dedication — from waking up at 3 am every day when he was 17 years old for training at Philly Union to leaving home to play for International Soccer Academy‘s Schalke 04 Integrated team in Europe.

Francis is a Game Changer. That’s why I reached out to FC Köln as I was very impressed by his mental strength.

Patrick Weiser, former Bundesliga player and head coach of FC Schalke 04’s U18 Academy

Isabela Vernier: Hi Francis, thanks for taking the time to talk with SoccerToday! How was day 1 of your trial at Cadiz CF?

Francis Castillo: I’m feeling good. Yeah, I’ve been in Spain for two days now, and I’m excited. La Liga is a league I’ve always had a special love for so it feels surreal to be here now.

Isabela Vernier: How does this trial in Spain differ from your experiences of playing in Germany, the USA, or Nicaragua? Is there a significant difference?

Francis Castillo: I’m lucky to have the opportunities I’ve had so far in life.

I left home when I was 17 to play for the Schalke 04 Integrated Academy and feel like everything has been leading up to this opportunity. I approach being on trial with a mindset of staying calm, playing like myself, and not getting nervous.

Isabela Vernier: When did you start playing soccer?

Francis Castillo: I started playing when I was six years old at a club named Lehigh Valley United. My dad was the one who got me into football, as he loved playing it when he was in El Salvador. His dad forbade him from playing soccer as a child because he was worried my dad would get hurt. So my dad had to sneak out to play soccer in the streets of Apancoyo so he introduced me to soccer at a young age.

FRANCIS CASTILLO pictured in the center playing for Leigh Valley United in Pennsylvania

Isabela Vernier: How do you maintain peak physical performance as an elite youth soccer player who is representing your National Team?

Francis Castillo: Nutrition is crucial for me. As an athlete, I notice that I am what I eat. I need to eat well to perform well on the field. If I eat too much I feel sluggish and slow and on the flip side, if I eat too little, I notice a difference in my endurance.

Isabela Vernier: As a youth soccer player, have you made sacrifices on the pathway to trying to become a pro — which is especially hard because the reward is uncertain?

100%. The pursuit of going pro can be very lonely at times, but I am driven by my desire to become a pro.

The pursuit of going pro can be lonely.

Francis Castillo

You have to have a lot of faith and discipline to say no to all these temptations and stay focused on your “job”, which is soccer. This is not easy as a teenager who also wants to experience life with his friends.

FRANCIS CASTILLO pictured with his Global Soccer Development teammates in Germany, Summer 2023
Francis Castillo at GSD last summer

Isabela Vernier: What steps did you take when you decided to pursue football seriously?

Francis Castillo: When I was young, It was more about enjoying the game than setting myself apart at that age. I always love having fun with the game, scoring goals, and training.

Isabela Vernier: Coaches have praised your finishing and dribbling skills. What is something you’re currently working on?

Francis Castillo: I realized playing in Germany that European competition is much more physical, these players give it their all throughout every second of the match so I am working on increasing my endurance.

Isabela Vernier: What defines success for you in football?

Francis Castillo: Success, for me, is internal discipline, focusing on goals, and making the necessary sacrifices to achieve them — I am not in control of winning the Champions League so I know setting that as a measure for success isn’t smart.

Francis Castillo warming up in front of Veltnis Arena as a FC Schalke 04 U18 Player

Isabela Vernier: What differences have you noticed in training between American youth soccer and European academies?

Francis Castillo: European academies have more intense, physical, and tactical training sessions compared to American youth soccer. The focus is on quick mental adaptation and preparation.

The gym sessions are however the same level and I think athletic trainers in America do a great job in strength and conditioning.

Isabela Vernier: How important is a coach in a player’s development?

Francis Castillo: A coach’s positive reinforcement, honest feedback, and guidance can significantly impact a player’s growth. On the other hand, coaches can also break a player. Especially a coach who is dishonest can mess with a player’s mental health and make him question his self-worth.

Isabela Vernier: What do you believe is the secret to success in football?

Francis Castillo: The discipline to make sacrifices and stay focused on goals, even when facing challenges, is the key to success.

Isabela Vernier: What’s one food you miss the most when you’re away from home?

Francis Castillo: I miss my mom’s cooking, especially Salvadorian food like the national dish pupusas and Nicaraguan black rice.

Francis Castillo on trial at Cadiz CF

As Francis Castillo takes on the trials at Cádiz CF, the echoes of his journey resound with determination and resilience. From the local fields of Pennsylvania to the international stage in Europe, Francis’s story exemplifies the sacrifices made in the name of a dream. His experiences, whether in a small town in Pennsylvania, an MLS Club or a Bundesliga Academy in Germany have sculpted him into a player whose commitment goes beyond the final whistle. As we eagerly await the next chapter in Francis Castillo’s soccer journey, his story stands as a testament to the indomitable spirit of American youth soccer players who dare to dream and strive for international greatness.

Teams Francis Castillo has played for:

Clubs Francis Castillo has trialed with:

The post 18-YEAR-OLD FRANCIS CASTILLO ON TRIAL AT CADIZ CF appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo