• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

NWSL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCES MEGHANN BURKE AS NEW LEADER

D

Diane Scavuzzo

Meghann Burke is the New Executive Director for the NWSLPA​

The National Women’s Soccer League Players Association announced today that Meghann Burke has been named full-time Executive Director for the NWSLPA, effective April 1, 2021. The NWSL Players Association serves as the primary voice and advocate of their players and champions the continued growth of the league and women’s game.

“I am deeply honored with the trust the Players have placed in me to lead the Players Association through this critical year and into the future,” Burke says.

“I am ready to get to work advocating for Players in NWSL as we continue to grow the membership and strength of our Players Association,” said Burke. “I look forward to building upon the strong foundation that Brooke built during her tenure and that Yael Averbuch laid before her.”

Yael Averbuch

Burke has served the NWSL Players Association as general counsel since 2017 and as Chief Operating Officer since November 2020.

Burke is a former professional soccer player who played for the Carolina Courage, Chicago Red Stars, and Sky Blue FC.

Burke was a highly acclaimed goalkeeper and In 2010 helped found the WPS Players Union.

Meghann Burke

As an attorney, she has practiced law at Brazil & Burke P.A. in Asheville, North Carolina, for the past decade, focusing on criminal defense and civil rights.

Brooke Elby, former NWSL player and NWSLPA President, will transition from the role of Executive Director into an Advisor role.

“It has been an honor to advocate for and work with the NWSL Players through unprecedented challenges this past year,” says Elby. “We have emerged from that stronger than ever.”

Elby has served the NWSL Players Association since its inception in a variety of roles, but most notably as the NWSLPA President and as the Executive Director.

Since 2017, Elby has been instrumental to the growth and direction of the organization. While Elby’s role within the organization will shift to that of an Advisor, her passion and expertise will remain important to the NWSLPA’s future. Elby will continue her studies at the Columbia Business School and is looking forward to a summer internship opportunity in Washington DC.

“With the leadership of Yael and Brooke, thus far, and now to have Meghann enter the stage, I feel our organization has really hit the jackpot,” says NWSLPA President Tori Huster. “There is no one better suited for this position, other than Meghann. These three women have been incredibly valuable assets to the NWSLPA since 2017 as well as amazing people and I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with all of them and see their passion in action.”

The NWSL Players Association is the labor union that represents Players in the National Women’s Soccer League. It was founded in May of 2017 and represents all Players who are employed by and sign Standard Player Agreements with the NWSL.

The post NWSL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCES MEGHANN BURKE AS NEW LEADER appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo