• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

AMERICAN PLAYER IN THE BUNDESLIGA: MATTHEW HOPPE SCORES HAT TRICK FOR SCHALKE

D

Diane Scavuzzo

Former Barca Academy Player Matthew Hoppe is the first American Soccer Player to Score Hat Trick in the Bundesliga​

This 19-tear-old teenager from Southern California makes a big impact playing pro soccer in Germany at Schalke 04, scoring 3 goals and ending one of the longest winless streaks in Bundesliga history.

Mathew Hoppe has made sports headlines around the world for scoring a hat trick for his team FC Schalke 04, and helping breathe new life into the Bundesliga club.

Hoppe’s three goals led Schalke to a 4-0 victory over Hoffenheim ended its 30-game winless streak.

6’2″ Hoppe is now the top scorer for Schalke after making his debut on the first team in November for the match against Borussia Monchengladbach. While Hoppe did not score in his first Bundesliga match, he was over the moon to make the squad and described the first few minutes of his professional football as “an incredible experience.”

This weekend, Hoppe earned Man of the Matchday from the Bundesliga for his Hat Trick.

READ: GERMANY’S SCHALKE 04 SIGNS 18-YEAR OLD MATTHEW HOPPE

Schalke has consistently had an eye for great American talent. As a youth soccer player, Hoppe was selected to play for the Barca Academy‘s Residential program in Arizona. Several of Hoppe’s teammates from Barca have also become professional soccer players including Julian Araujo who plays for MLS Galaxy and Hayden Sargis who plays for USL Championship Sacramento Republic.

AMERICAN PLAYER IN THE BUNDESLIGA: MATHEW HOPPE SCORES HAT TRICK FOR SCHALKE

The Bundesliga is an amazing proving ground for talented American players and has been home to Christian Pulisic and Giovanni Reyna.

“I always dreamed of training and playing soccer in Europe.”

Mathew Hoppe

Now, Hoppe’s dream of playing professional soccer in Germany has come true and while still a teenager, he has made an impact for the world to see. Hoffenheim’s goalkeeper, Oliver Baumann, was certainly not expecting the onslaught of balls finding the back of the net.

19-year-old Matthew Hoppe becomes the first American to score a Bundesliga hat trick
1f4ab.png
pic.twitter.com/Ka83UVA8mq

— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) January 9, 2021

Schalke now is in 17th place in the Bundesliga table. Schalke 04’s coach Christian Gross looks to build on the momentum of the recent win.

“I don’t know how to feel. I’m excited, I’m happy that the team got the win and that I was able to contribute to it.”

Matthew Hoppe, as reported by the Bundesliga to ESPN
American-Soccer-Player-Matthew-Hoppe-Man-of-the-Match-1024x576.jpg

Man of the Matchday
MATTHEW HOPPE HAT TRICK!

Schalke are on the verge of snapping their 30-game winless streak
1f633.png
pic.twitter.com/OhjrjETuT3

There is nothing better to experience the moment than watching this clip from ESPN of Hoppe’s teammates celebrating his goal:

MATTHEW HOPPE HAT TRICK!

Schalke are on the verge of snapping their 30-game winless streak
1f633.png
pic.twitter.com/OhjrjETuT3

Hoppe is a focused and dedicated 19-year-old professional soccer player whose roots are typically American. Hoppe, who was planning to play collegiate soccer at San Diego State University (SDSU) before Schalke offered to sign him to a professional contract, is a Southern California youth soccer player from a loving home with very supportive parents.

Former US Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann, who believes there is a significant pipeline of talent coming out of America referred to Hoppe’s Schalke heroics as a fairytale story in an ESPN recap.

in 2019-20, Hoppe played on Schalke’s U19 team. This season, Hoppe was promoted to Schalke’s second team, the Royal Blues U23s, which plays in Germany’s fourth-tier Regionalliga before moving up to the first team.

Mathew-Hoppe-and-Michael-Scvuzzo-play-for-Barca-Academy-2017-1024x543.jpg

Mathew Hoppe at Barca Academy during a match against Portland Timbers Academy

Claiming the #1 spot in the now-defunct U.S. Soccer Development Academy standings for Goals Scored Leaders, Hoppe scored 29 goals in his 2018/19 season at Barca Academy.

“It is great to see Matthew move up the ranks at Schalke 04 so quickly and it comes as no surprise to us that he is already having success at the first-team level,” said Ged Quinn, Director of Barça Residency Academy.

“Scoring a hat-trick this past weekend will be just the beginning for him and nobody deserves this more than Matthew.”

Ged Quinn, Barça Residency Academy

“Hoppe’s movement, work ethic, and calmness in front of goal mean he will be dangerous at whatever level he plays, and we are excited to see his continued success within the professional game,” said Quinn. “We are hugely proud of him here at Barça Residency Academy.”

Matthew-Hoppe-at-Barca-Academy-1024x626.jpg

“I got my first taste of playing soccer in Germany several years ago when I went over there with Don Ebert and the Strikers SC,” said Hoppe in an earlier interview.

Make a note of the name. Hoppe has ended Schalke’s 30-game losing streak and is definitely a Player to Watch.

The post AMERICAN PLAYER IN THE BUNDESLIGA: MATTHEW HOPPE SCORES HAT TRICK FOR SCHALKE appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo