• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

ASC SAN DIEGO STARTS SEASON WITH A WIN & A GOODBYE

D

Diane Scavuzzo

A victory and a farewell marked the 2020 NPSL season opener for the NPSL team ASC San Diego.

It was a big night in soccer in San Diego. ASC SAN DIEGO‘s longtime Head Coach Ziggy Korytoski coached his last game last night.

After earning a victory in the 2020 National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) home opener — ASC San Diego’s CEO Noah Gins thanked “Ziggy” for his leadership and praised him for all his accomplishments.

Noah-and-ZIggy.jpg

“Ziggy has given his heart and soul to this organization and I was very happy we could make this game so special for him,” said GIns. “He has a place with ALBION always as I know ALBION will be with him forever.”

“It’s was an honor and a privilege to coach ASC San Diego.”

Ziggy Korytoski
ASC-San-Diego-Action-shot-in-NPSL-homeopener-1024x705.jpg

ASC San Diego got its 2020 season off to a fantastic start by securing 3 points in conference play with a win against AS Los Angeles. The first match of the season was an exciting one for the home crowd at Mission Bay Stadium as ASC finished 2-1 under the lights

ASC-SAN-DIEGOs-longtime-Head-Coach-Ziggy-Korytoski-coached-his-last-game-last-night.-After-earning--1024x683.jpg

The first half was action-packed. Both NPSL teams worked diligently to find the back of the net and be the first to earn points on the board.

There were plenty of hard drives to the net by both teams, but ASC had more control of the pitch as well as the pace of the match.

ASC-San-Diego-home-opener-2020--1024x683.jpg

With a certain level of anxiety by both the home and away teams, there was a pack of penalties from both sides, and ASC saw two of its players get shown yellow cards within the first fifteen minutes of the match.

While the balls flew across the field, and the battle rages on, the teams settled down and ASC San Diego dominated.

ASC-San-Diego-Scores-goal-to-win-NPSL-homeopener.jpg

In the 25th minute, ASC midfielder Brandon Cortez took the ball into the middle of the pitch, passed to fellow midfielder Wilton Quintero. Quintero’s cross to the waiting boot of Angel Sanchez created the opportunity to slide the ball past ASLA’s keeper to the back of the net giving San Diego’s team the lead.

ASC-San-Diego-Player-at-homeopener-2020-1-1024x683.jpg

ASC midfielder Andrew Miranda also had several strong drives up the right side along with a couple unsuccessful attempts to get on the scoresheet. But he was eventually able to get in a position to loft a perfect ball to the waiting head of teammate Garmina Paygar-Flangiah who scored again to bring the tally to 2-0 over AS Los Angeles before halftime.

ASC-San-Diego-NPSL-Home-Opener-Action-shot-February-23-2020-1024x782.jpg

ASLA was able to score off of a free kick the 82nd minute but ASC San Diego was able to hold strong for the remainder of the match, including more than 4 minutes of stoppage time to earn their first win on the books for the 2020 season and give their head coach a proper goodbye.

Coach-Ziggy-And-Lenny-at-the-ASC-San-Diego-Home-Opener-1024x683.jpg

Coach Ziggy Korytoski with sixteen-year-old Lenny Carreon #3

“This group of players is extremely committed and the ability to insert a sixteen-year-old homegrown into the lineup was something I’m very proud to be a part of,” said coach “Ziggy”. “I’m looking forward to the club’s continued success for years to come.”

A-cut-above-ASC-San-Diego-action-in-the-2020-NPSL-Home-Opener-1024x791.jpg

Coach “Ziggy” gave his players an emotional farewell speech in the locker room before kick-off.

With hard work and sacrifice, we won and had a great last season.

Ziggy Korytoski

Well received by both his ASC squad as well as his younger Albion SC youth soccer team, Korytoski thanked his coaching staff, Assistant Head Coach, Andre Schmid, Assistant Head Coach, and GM Frankie Sanfilippo and Goalkeeper Coach Marc Riley, and praised all his players’ determination. He reminded everyone that when they play, they play for something bigger than themselves or their team. They play for San Diego.

A-hug-from-his-daughter-ASC-San-Diego-wins-homeopener-and-bids-farewell-to-head-coach-Ziggy-Korytoski-1024x987.jpg

Ziggy Korytoski receives a hug from his daughter and gifts from his fans

“I’m very happy for the club and our community and I thought it was a great evening for everyone involved,” said Korytoski who leaves for his new role abroad in Guatemala.

“The love and support that has been provided throughout the years is something I’ll never forget.”

Ziggy Korytoski

“We look forward to collaboration now with his role in Guatemala and ALBION and continuing to do what we do best which is develop people and soccer players,” said Gins.

After the match, coach “Ziggy” took the time to talk to all of the fans and took tons of pictures with his current and former players.

ASC-SAN-DIEGOs-longtime-Head-Coach-Ziggy-Korytoski-takes-pictures-with-youth-players-from-Albion-SC--1024x683.jpg

Source: Recap from ASC San Diego

The post ASC SAN DIEGO STARTS SEASON WITH A WIN & A GOODBYE appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo