• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

AUSTIN FC ACQUIRES 2020 MLS CUP CHAMPION ANDREW TARBELL

D

Diane Scavuzzo

Andrew Tarbell was Crowned MLS Cup Champion in 2020 with Columbus Crew SC

MLS experience also includes four seasons with San Jose Earthquakes

Austin FC, the 27th club in Major League Soccer (MLS), announced today the acquisition of free agent goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell. Per League and Club policy, the terms of the agreements were not disclosed. Tarbell joins Brady Scott in the goalkeeper roster and becomes Austin FC’s 14th acquisition ahead of the Club’s inaugural season in 2021.

“Andrew is someone we are excited to acquire,” said Austin FC’s Sporting Director, Claudio Reyna. “He gained valuable experience in San Jose, starting over 40 MLS games, as well as registering numerous starts in 2020 in both regular season and playoffs. We look forward to developing him inside our game model and watching him compete for playing time.”

tarbell.jpg

“I’m honored and grateful to be a part of the first-ever Austin FC team,” commented Tarbell. “I’m excited to get to work with my new teammates and coaches in preparing for this new season. I look forward to meeting the fans and calling Austin my home.”

Tarbell (“pronounced TAR-bell”) arrives to Austin having played for five (5) consecutive seasons in Major League Soccer (2016-19 with the San Jose Earthquakes and 2020 with Columbus Crew SC). Tarbell was recently crowned 2020 MLS Cup Champion with Columbus, after making seven (7) regular seasons appearances (six (6) starts), registering a 0.97 GAA, and making two (2) post season starts in as many matches, earning two (2) shutouts.

Prior to Tarbell’s championship season with Crew SC, the 27-year-old played for the Earthquakes between 2016-19, making 41 starts in 42 matches and registering 128 saves in MLS regular-season action while also recording seven (7) starts in U.S. Open Cup play. While on loan in 2017, Tarbell made four (4) appearances (four (4) starts) with USL side Reno 1868 FC. Drafted as a 2016 Generation adidas player, the Mandeville, Louisiana native was part of the U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team pool. At the collegiate level, Tarbell played for Clemson University from 2012-15, making 56 appearances (55 starts), helping the Tigers reach the final of the NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer Tournament in 2015.

As of December 23, 2020, Austin FC’s roster consists of:

Goalkeepers
Brady Scott (USA)
Andrew Tarbell (USA)

Defenders
Julio Cascante (Costa Rica)
Nick Lima (USA)
Jhohan Romaña (Colombia)
Ben Sweat (USA)

Midfielders
Hector Jimenez (USA)
Alex Ring (Finland)
Ulises Segura (Costa Rica)
Jared Stroud (USA)

Forwards
Cecilio Domínguez (Paraguay)
Jon Gallagher (Ireland)
Danny Hoesen (Netherlands)
Rodney Redes (Paraguay)

Transaction: Austin FC acquired free agent goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell on December 23, 2020.

Player Details Andrew Tarbell
Name: Andrew Tarbell
Position: Goalkeeper
Height: 6’3”
Born: October 7, 1993
Birthplace: Mandeville, Louisiana
Nationality: United States

The post AUSTIN FC ACQUIRES 2020 MLS CUP CHAMPION ANDREW TARBELL appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo