• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

FC DALLAS’ PAXTON POMYKAL ON TRAINING AND BINGE WATCHING MARVEL DURING COVID-19

D

Diane Scavuzzo

19-Year-Old Paxton Pomykal Moves Back Home And Keeps On Training During Coronavirus Forced Break

How is professional soccer player, 19-year-old midfielder Paxton Pomykal managing his time while at home and being active? Not touching his Xbox for months, and still staying away from his favorite foods like chicken wings, Paxton Pomykal is determined to emerge from this hiatus stronger than ever and ready to play the beautiful game for 90 minutes.

How are we coping with the forced break in our schedules due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus COVID-19? FC Dallas‘ young midfielder, 19-year-old Paxton Pomykal is making sure he gets touches on the ball and maintains his high level of fitness by following his coaches’ advice and by playing in the backyard with his brothers.

The hardest part? Preparing for preseason and then for it to be put to a halt.

“Obviously, we are limited to our space and being sheltered in inside,” says Paxton Pomykal who is finding different ways to train.

Paxton Pomykal playing for FC Dallas

Paxton Pomykal

Paxton Pomykal was living on his own in Plano, Texas just moved back home to be with his family last week when it became clear that the hiatus on FC Dallas team training was going to be extended. While it is critical that professional players, and even high-level elite youth soccer players, maintain their conditioning and fitness during this downtime, Paxton has a bit of help with the support of his family.

“I am fortunate not to have to be alone,” says the teenager who departed US National Team camp in January camp to focus on injury rehabilitation. Paxton came off of surgery and four months of rehab to then have to dial it back because of the forced break to slow the spread of the Coronavirus COVID-19.

NEWS: @PaxiPomy departs @USMNT January camp.https://t.co/YDYZmwOOCE

— FC Dallas (@FCDallas) January 16, 2020

Feeling great and fully recovered from his surgery, Paxton says, “Fortunately we have a decent size backyard and I can get touches on the ball and we also have exercise machines.”

Whenever we get back playing, it will just make it all the sweeter that we worked hard during this time. When it gets there, we will be ready.

FC Dallas’ 19-Year-Old Paxton Pomykal

Pushing game fitness up to the full 90 minutes, he is working really hard by myself and with my bothers.

Paxton, who grew up watching the English Premier League and the MLS on TV, this COVID-19 forced break was unimaginable when preseason was starting.

Sporting a new look, Paxton Pomykal plays for FC Dallas

Image from MLS – New-look Paxton Pomykal on standout first game: “All the power to the mustache

Read MLS Story New-look Paxton Pomykal on standout first game: “All the power to the mustache”

“It is a weird time. I never would have imagined this.”

FC Dallas’ Paxton Pomykal

Knowing that the more people who get together, the higher the risk of spreading the virus, Paxton said, “I think the whole world is taking it in their stride — this is a serious matter — much bigger than soccer and bigger than sports in general.”

“This is the time we need to connect and be with loved ones and family,” said Paxton who noted that he had seen more people riding bikes with their families than before.

“This is the time to appreciate what we have.”
048A6790-1024x443.jpg

Paxton Pomykal and family

“We are having a blast here playing board games and just connecting. It is an important time to have each other to lean on — And, I am binge-watching the entire Marvel series,” said Paxton who hasn’t touched his Xbox in a few months, although teammate Reggie (Cannon) is encouraging him to logon.

While clearly missing playing soccer and his strict game day routine, Paxton has clearly adjusted to the hiatus and is trying to make the best of it. Thankful for the training directives provided by FC Dallas’s coaches, Paxton told the media that the “Coaches have done a great job of providing us with workout and maintenance plans for us to do at home — and this week we are going to start doing video chat sessions.”

A special moment for a special player.

@PaxiPomy is headed to the 2019 #MLSAllStar Game pres. by @Target! pic.twitter.com/eIFJK7N9bL

— Major League Soccer (@MLS) June 25, 2019

What do you miss the most, besides soccer? Missing being out with friends the most, Paxton said, “All my hometown boys are back home … ” and of course, they cannot get together.

Paxton Pomykal playing for FC Dallas

Paxton Pomykal

Being smart about good nutrition is important for all athletes. Confessing his favorite foods are chicken wings which he has not had in a long while, Paxton admits that he has changed his diet a lot. “I kind of ate, not bad, but I didn’t really watch what I ate — but in the last year or so, I have really changed my diet to healthier foods, and healthier snacks like yogurts and nuts.”

Paxton also admits he is learning to cook because I really do not have a choice.

FC Dallas’ players are checking in with each other on a daily basis during this lockdown and a new normal is setting in as no one really knows when anyone will be hitting the field again.

Image of Paxton’s family is from A New Tradition: Homegrown midfielder Paxton Pomykal to wear #19

The post FC DALLAS’ PAXTON POMYKAL ON TRAINING AND BINGE WATCHING MARVEL DURING COVID-19 appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo