• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

NEW YORK YOUTH SOCCER SCHOLARSHIP GOES TO KAELYN LAWSON

R

Randy Vogt

Kaelyn Lawson Receives Eastern New York’s Jack Bauman Scholarship

New York Soccer News: Kaelyn played varsity soccer since the 8th Grade

The Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association (ENYYSA) congratulates Kaelyn Lawson, who is receiving a Jack Bauman Scholarship, which is based on success in high school as well as community service. The scholarship’s namesake, Jack Bauman, is considered the father of women’s soccer on Long Island. He was devoted to the Massapequa Soccer Club, Eastern New York and making sure that girls had as many opportunities to play soccer as boys did in an era when girls playing sports was not as accepted as it is today.

image-6.png

Kaelyn, a Vorheesville resident, played in the Capital District Youth Soccer League (CDYSL) for Capital United, Alleycats and Blackwatch as well as Eastern New York’s Olympic Development Program (ODP).

She was a member of the National Honor Society and High Honor Roll all four years at Clayton A. Bouton High School. She has played on the varsity soccer team since eighth grade when she suffered a severe concussion in the sectional final.

She wrote in her essay, ”My life consisted of Concussion Clinic visits, experimental studies, locking myself in my room and following 504 Disability Code accommodations at my home school. I was not in a good mental state either since it felt as if I was a prisoner in my own mind, not being able to go out and do what made me happy. On certain days, my depression was so crippling that I did not leave my bed.”

“Soccer is such a metaphor for me now. It has made me want to help others just as my coaches had and many doctors and nurses had to help me recover…I volunteered with local soccer programs and it was such a pleasure seeing the smiles on kids’ faces as they scored a goal, blocked a kick or just was part of the team. This is also the reason I am entering college to major in nursing in order to help others.”

We wish Kaelyn the best studying and playing soccer at Castleton University.

ENYYSA logo

Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association
: With 100,000 youth soccer players–both boys and girls–and more than 25,000 volunteers, the non-profit Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association (ENYYSA) reaches from Montauk Point, Long Island to the Canadian border. Members are affiliated with nine leagues throughout the association, which covers the entire state of New York east of Route 81. ENYYSA exists to promote and enhance the game of soccer for children and teenagers between the ages of 5 and 19 years old and to encourage the healthy development of youth players, coaches, referees, and administrators.

The post NEW YORK YOUTH SOCCER SCHOLARSHIP GOES TO KAELYN LAWSON appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo