• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

NEW YORK YOUTH SOCCER SCHOLARSHIP GOES TO MATTHEW POWER

R

Randy Vogt

Matthew Power Receives Eastern New York’s Livio D’Arpino Scholarship

New York Soccer News: Matt Power played with the same club team during his entire youth soccer career

The Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association (ENYYSA) is very pleased to announce that Matthew Power is receiving a Livio D’Arpino Scholarship. The scholarship’s namesake was a beloved Eastern New York Vice President who was seemingly involved in every level of local soccer before his untimely passing in 2002, the year that Matt was born. The award is based on success in high school as well as community service.

The East Northport resident was a member of both the National Honor Society and Business Honor Society while having an average in the high nineties before his graduation from Northport High School this June.

image.png

MATTHEW POWER

Matt is that rare individual who has played for only one travel team, the Northport/Cow Harbor Wolverines of the Long Island Junior Soccer League (LIJSL), from Boys-Under-9 to Boys-Under-20.

Matt wrote in his essay that “Soccer has provided many highs and lows over the years. I remember when my team had won two tournaments when I was 13 and I felt like our team could play and win the World Cup. But there are times when we would get crushed and it can really hurt and make you feel miserable about the sport. I enjoy soccer so much that I became a referee and it allows me to enjoy my favorite sport from an additional perspective.”

Besides being team captain of the Northport/Cow Harbor Wolverines, Matt’s leadership abilities are evident as he was the Business Honor Society Vice President, Spanish Club Secretary, Northport High School Store Manager, the Anti-Defamation League’s Peer Educator and Rotary Youth Leadership Association Senior Leader.

We wish Matt the best at UMass Amherst this fall.

ENYYSA logo

Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association
: With 100,000 youth soccer players–both boys and girls–and more than 25,000 volunteers, the non-profit Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association (ENYYSA) reaches from Montauk Point, Long Island to the Canadian border. Members are affiliated with nine leagues throughout the association, which covers the entire state of New York east of Route 81. ENYYSA exists to promote and enhance the game of soccer for children and teenagers between the ages of 5 and 19 years old and to encourage the healthy development of youth players, coaches, referees, and administrators.

The post NEW YORK YOUTH SOCCER SCHOLARSHIP GOES TO MATTHEW POWER appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo