• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

SD LOYAL SC FOLLOWS UP XOLOS GAME WITH ORANGE COUNTY SC MATCHUP

C

Chris Rael

OCSC Travels to San Diego for Pacific Division Rivalry Match​

SD Loyal SC and Orange County SC will seek to continue their unbeaten runs tonight in a Pacific Division matchup in San Diego. Since their last meeting in June, both clubs have climbed the leaderboard with impressive performances at home and on the road. San Diego now sits just three points behind second-place Orange County.

USL News: San Diego Loyal SC will continue its impressive run in the 2021 United Soccer League (USL) Season with a matchup versus division rival Orange County SC. The game follows San Diego’s international friendly that was held over the weekend at Torero Stadium.

SD Loyal SC vs Club Tijuana Xolos Recap​

SD Loyal is coming off a 1-0 loss versus Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles. The first-ever matchup between the clubs welcomed a sold-out crowd at Torero Stadium last Saturday afternoon. Edgar Lopez scored the lone goal of the match in the 34th minute when he collected a loose ball inside the penalty box and slotted it inside the bottom, right post.

For locals, the match represented the cross-border community of San Diego-Tijuana. For SD Loyal midfielder Alejandro Guido, former Xolos player, the contest highlighted the development of professional soccer in the region.

“I could have never imagined this when I was younger,” said Guido. “Two professional soccer teams when I grew up didn’t exist. Now it’s happening. To be able to live through it and play in front of my family in a matchup with two teams I have been a part of is incredible.”

SD Loyal head coach Landon Donovan also cited the exposure to international competition that the match provided his players. In particular, he highlighted how the matchup versus experienced competition will benefit the team’s development.

“We can’t create an experience like this without having it,” said Donovan. “You can’t talk to them (SD Loyal players) about what higher level players look like until you feel it in a game like this. There’s no substitute playing against really great players. Glad no one got injured and it was a great experience for our young kids and the players who don’t get a lot of minutes.”

San Diego Loyal returns to regular-season play on Wednesday, July 14, versus Orange County SC (OCSC). Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. at Torero Stadium. In the last meeting between the two Pacific Division sides, the result was a 1-1 draw in Orange County.

OCSC currently sits in second place of the division, while SD Loyal is three points behind. Since the last meeting, both clubs have remained unbeaten in season play.

Stay tuned for our match recap.

The post SD LOYAL SC FOLLOWS UP XOLOS GAME WITH ORANGE COUNTY SC MATCHUP appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo