• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

UPDATE ON LUCA FAVA – AMERICAN TEENAGE SOCCER PLAYER AT PRO GERMAN ACADEMY

D

Diane Scavuzzo

Southern CA Player Signed Contract With Bundesliga 2 Pro Club VfL Bochum 1848

Luca Fava grew up playing soccer, dreaming of training abroad, and becoming a professional soccer player. At the age of 16 years old, Fava signed a contract with VfL Bochum 1848 and now lives in Germany training and playing the game he loves.

luca-fava-1024x684.jpg

Soccer Player To Watch Series on SoccerToday

Many kids dream of becoming professional athletes. Few have the commitment and the talent it takes to turn a dream into a reality. Luca Fava is a teenage American youth soccer player with the ambition to live his dream.

VfL-Bochum-logo.jpg

When we first covered Fava’s signing his contract with VfL Bochum 1848 a top-flight Bundesliga 2 professional club, it was a celebration of achievement. Now, a few months later, we wanted to check in and see if the experience was matching the dream.

Read: 16-YEAR-OLD AMERICAN SOCCER PLAYER LUCA FAVA SIGNS WITH TOP PRO GERMAN ACADEMY

Fava trained at Southern California’s Strikers Football Club and was coached by Don Ebert, and Roy Chingirian before training in Germany with the Talentprojekt‘s U15 team.

Irvine Strikers FC youth soccer player Luca Fava signs pro contract with VfL Bochum 1848

Irvine Strikers FC youth soccer player Luca Fava signs pro contract with VfL Bochum 1848

Read: STRIKERS’ COACH ROY ON 16-YEAR-OLD LUCA FAVA SIGNING WITH A EUROPEAN PRO CLUB

“It’s been a good challenge for me settling into the club and learning the style of play that is being asked from the coaching staff,” said Luca Fava when we reached out for an update.

“I’ve really enjoyed taking on this challenge.”

Luca Fava

“Having a group of boys and staff that is full of great characters and camaraderie has made it much easier for me to settle into a new city and life, as well as into the team,” said Fava. “The intensity of training week in and week out makes it a different type of exciting to get out onto the pitch every day and keep improving.”

“Like every player, there is a lot that is being demanded from me and a lot that I still have to earn.”

Luca Fava
DSC02143-1024x682.jpg

Luca Fava at VfL Bochum 1848 vs Fortuna Köln

“It’s a different animal out here in terms of the level of competition and seriousness as every individual is fighting for their dreams, but that’s what makes the environment unlike anything available in the states,” said Fava.

“Unfortunately, the team and I were put into a two-week quarantine in September after a couple of players had tested positive for Covid, but we were able to find solutions to staying fit through intense and creative cyber workouts multiple times a week during our stint at home. Since the start of November, youth football in Germany suffered a huge blow once again due to COVID 19 and all games have been suspended for at least the next month,” said Fava.

Luca-Fava-and-teammates-1024x682.jpg

Luca Fava with his teammates
“Fingers are crossed that we are able to return and play in December.

“For now, our squad is tackling the problem as well as we can all together,” said Fava. “I think I am speaking for us all when I say we’re aching to get back onto the pitch together, but we will have to wait for that and work nonstop for the time being. Due to the return of restrictions, I’ve turned back to my creative workouts I started back in March as I wait for the return of team training. It was quite disappointing to hear the news that we would be shut down as I had really begun to get into the flow of things and my football was returning to peak — but I’ll make sure when we return that not a beat has been skipped. I am really enjoying football — and having fun — which is key to reaching and remaining in form as best as possible.”

IMG_0188-1024x683.jpg

Luca Fava at VfL Bochum 1848 vs Stuttgart
“It’s been tough, but I would still never take back my decision to make this move and remain overseas.”

“Talking to teammates and friends back home and knowing the restrictions from normal training and competition gives me peace of mind that I made the right decision,” said Fava. “It is still surreal waking up sometimes and realizing the opportunity that I’ve been blessed with, and what’s going on in the world at the moment makes me so much more grateful for this experience. There is still so much to achieve, and I’m delighted and willing to put in all the work in order to get there while taking everything in along the way.”

Luca-Fava-with-Coach-Simon-1024x594.jpg

According to Gianni Fava, Luca Fava’s father, “The club has been very welcoming to Luca, especially coach Simon Schuchert and his teammates. Luca is having to learn a new game plan and a different mindset. Even though he has already spent last season in Germany, it’s a lot different when you move to a professional club.”

“Also, Luca has had to learn how to get around in a new city,” added Fava senior who is obviously proud of his son. “Taking public transport to practice, riding a bike to school, and having to cook, clean, and fend for himself — It’s been a transition period.”

“Now, throw in dealing with COVID shutting everything down for a month.”

Gianni Fava

Hopefully, the spread of coronavirus in Germany will slow as the country fights the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, and Luca Fava and his teammates can resume training and playing the beautiful game again soon.

The post UPDATE ON LUCA FAVA – AMERICAN TEENAGE SOCCER PLAYER AT PRO GERMAN ACADEMY appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo