• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

#MLSisBACK: MINNESOTA HOLDS ON POINTS IN SCORELESS TIE WITH RSL

D

Diane Scavuzzo

Check Out What The Coach & Players Think After The Match

While some of these images in this article are from the #MLSisBACK match on 07/12 between Sporting Kansas City and Minnesota United at Wide World of Sports, the pictures capture the joy of the game, and in many ways reflect the sentiment of holding on to important points in the MLS tournament.

A late kick could not stop the Florida heat and humidity from turning this tilt between the top two teams in Group D into another steamy affair late Friday night. Minnesota United welcomed the return of captain Osvaldo Alonso to the lineup, while Real Salt Lake would lose Albert Rusnak to an injury after just 34 minutes. The teams would spend the bulk of the evening in the midfield, with neither able to mount consistent pressure on goal and each mustering 10 shots a piece with only five total on target. A late shift towards MNUFC was not enough for the Loons to come out on top and the teams would have to satisfy themselves with a point each in a scoreless draw.

Few real chances materialized over the course of the first 45 on the night. While Real Salt Lake won the possession battle of the first half handily, 55.8% to 44.2%, MNUFC seemed more focused on the counterattack, content to let RSL pass the ball square and back until jumping on them as they tried to push forward.

0712-Sporting-Kansas-City-vs-Minnesota-United-Wide-World-of-Sports-Media-Credit-Matt-Stith-Jared-Martinez-hands-up-819x1024.jpg

The first half was also plagued by stoppages as players hit the ground in midfield with regularity, including RSL’s Albert Rusnak who was forced from the game in the 34th minute after picking up a hip flexor injury. The Claret-and-Cobalt also earned two yellow cards for rough challenges on midfielders Kevin Molino and Ethan Finlay.

As the six minutes of stoppage time dwindled, Minnesota United teed up the best chance of the first half. Forward Aaron Schoenfeld held the ball up at midfield before dropping it off to midfielder Osvaldo Alonso — back in the starting XI for this game — who pushed unmarked deep into RSL’s half on the left side. He drew enough attention to get midfielder Robin Lod loose from the defense. Lod ripped a shot from the box that rattled the frame before bouncing wide to the right, where Finlay laid out and tried to nod the ball back towards goal, only to be frustrated by goalkeeper Zac MacMath. The whistle was blown and the two teams headed into the tunnel level at 0-0.

Likely with an eye towards preserving Molino for the final game of the Group Stage after a short turnaround from last Sunday’s game, Head Coach Adrian Heath opted to put in Thomas Chacon for Molino.

This shifted midfielder Robin Lod centrally while Chacon moved out to the left wing.

Lod looked more comfortable in the #10 position, immediately taking the opportunity to make a deep run into the box and rip a shot that forced a good save from MacMath.

0712-Sporting-Kansas-City-vs-Minnesota-United-Wide-World-of-Sports-Media-Credit-Matt-Stith-Jared-Martinez-Attempt-to-score-819x1024.jpg

Slowly, MNUFC began to tilt the tables in its direction. Heath was not shy with his subs on the night, bringing in Hassani Dotson for Ethan Finlay and Luis Amarilla for Aaron Schoenfeld in the 65th minute, and then Raheem Edwards for Lod in the 81st.

But while the Loons manage to stay on the front foot for the rest of the game, allowing RSL opportunities almost exclusively on the counterattack, they could not find the finishing quality they needed to get the first goal and open things up. Ultimately, the teams would have to settle for splitting the points and ending up with four points and a somewhat tighter hold on the top two spots in Group D.

BELL BANK MAN OF THE MATCH: Defender Michael Boxall

LINEUPS

Minnesota United
: GK Tyler Miller; D Romain Metanire, Jose Aja, Michael Boxall, Chase Gasper; M Osvaldo Alonso, Jan Gregus, Robin Lod, Kevin Molino, Ethan Finlay; F Aaron Schoenfeld

Real Salt Lake: GK: Zac MacMacth; D Aaron Herrera, Justin Glad, Marcelo Silva, Danny Toia; M Albert Rusnak, Everton Luiz, Pablo Ruiz, Corey Baird; F Douglas Martinez, Damir Kreilach

0x060a2b340101010201010f1213af454b40ecb000439005809538000D3A1E0DB8-1024x576.jpeg

What to know that the coach said after the match?

MINNESOTA UNITED HEAD COACH ADRIAN HEATH

On what a hard-fought point this late at night and in these conditions means at this point in the Tournament…

“It’s the first time I’ve started a game on a Friday and finished it on a Saturday. So, that’s a new one. I thought we were better than we were against Kansas. We looked a little bit sharper. I thought our ball movement was better. You know, we had a couple of really good opportunities that we didn’t take. But, overall, if you would have said to me after four games of the season, we’ve had 10 points… We always work on two points a game. It’s been a good start.”

On Real Salt Lake having one goal against it in four games and what they could have done more to score…
“A little bit more quality in the final third. That was one of the things I spoke to the players about in the first half. I thought we had more controlled possession in their half than we certainly did against Kansas. What I think in the first half, our final ball was not quite up to the standard that we’ve set ourselves. And they’re a well-dreamed team. Freddy [Juarez] has done a really good job with them. I said before the game, I think it will be tight because every time we play them, whether it be in Minnesota or Salt Lake, the games have always been tight. So, I knew it was going to be so. Robin [Lod] had a really good chance in the second half. And we had a good chance from Aaron Schoenfeld’s first half. And, you know, maybe Ethan [Finlay] could have done a little bit better with the follow up. So, you know, as I said, I would have settled for this before we started the tournament, for sure.”

On what he thought of Robin Lod’s chances and when he’s going to put one in the back of the net…
“Obviously, he’s a bit frustrated because he worked really hard to get himself in that position. Maybe just didn’t catch it as clean as he would have liked. But, you know, if he keeps working as hard as he is and training as hard as he is, you know, his goal will be around the corner for sure.”

On Thomas Chacon, why he was brought on and where he stands in the bigger picture…
“We’re going to need all these players. I don’t think people quite understand – who are not here – how difficult these conditions are, to be playing. The humidity, etcetera. And, the fact that we’ve had four months off, people don’t seem to sort of recognize that as much as I think they should. But, Thomas [Chacon], I knew he was going to get an opportunity when we decided to put him on and he showed little glimpses of what he can do. Obviously, he’ll be better for that because I can’t remember the last time that Thomas was on the field. So, it’s been a long time for him. He’ll benefit from the 45 minutes.”

On a good second half possession-wise, and how this sets the team up for its next game and advancement to the Knockout Stage…
“As I’ve said, I thought we’d be better than we were against Kansas, and we were. We looked a little bit sharper. We looked as though we moved the ball better. Four points, as I said, I would have probably settled for that. Now we have an opportunity against Colorado. It’ll be interesting to see what they do. But, at the end of the day, it’s three points at stake and the Shield. We’ll take it as important as we should do, and we’ll look to go into the game and win. As I say, I thought we controlled a lot of the possession in the second half, but maybe our quality in the final third was perhaps not as good as it should have been.”

On the better start, the better combination play and how good it was to have Osvaldo Alonso back on the field…
“We had a game the other night without Ike Opara – two-time Defender of the Year – Ozzie [Alonso] has arguably been the best number six in this division for 10 years. And you can see that common influence this evening. The amount of times he pinches balls that are meant to go into strikers, then he composes the game. He’s a huge piece for us and I think it showed again tonight. It didn’t surprise me that we controlled more of the possession because we’ve got somebody who is outstanding at doing that.”

On almost getting a goal right before the first half ended and what this tells him about this team’s fight overall in the first 45 minutes…
“I thought it was a lovely ball into him, but Aaron [Schoenfeld] has got a knack. He came on and hit the ball the other night. And he’s obviously, he needs a little bit of a break. But, I thought it was a great first touch. It was a good finish. And then, Ethan [Finlay] had an opportunity on the follow up. It was a bit better this evening. We certainly, you know, probably not as sharp as we would like, but that’s probably most of the teams with having the lengthy layoff that we’ve had.”

On the considerations that went into bringing Luis Amarilla off the bench at the 67thminute…
“He didn’t feel as though he could have gone 90, but I think it was important to give him some time to get his body going again. That set him up nicely for the Colorado game. I didn’t want to burden him too much and give him too many minutes, but I think it was important to get some time on the field.”

MINNESOTA-UNITED-at-MLSisBack.jpg

What to know that the players said after the match?

MINNESOTA UNITED GOALKEEPER TYLER MILLER

On what it means to get a hard-fought point at this stage of the tournament in these conditions…

“Yeah I think for me, obviously a point was a fair result tonight but at the end of the day we can control our destiny, so going forward we know what we have to do when it comes to Wednesday in order to advance.”

On what the vibe of the team is and the group’s potential to make a deep run compared to past groups he’s been a part of…
“We have a really motivated and strong group. I think you see it through the collective effort that everyone puts in for the full 90 minutes, plus stoppage time every game, starting with the [Kansas City] game. I mean we never really gave up, we didn’t play well but we fought until the end and got that huge result. Tonight, I mean, it was a similar feeling that everyone was willing to go that extra mile for everyone.

So for us, I feel like we have a strong, motivated team and now it just comes down to being disciplined and following our game plan when it comes to each game.”

On how the game changes when you have the extra stoppage time from water breaks…
“It’s something that we need though right now. We haven’t played 90 minutes in four months, so to expect players to be fully fit to play a full 90 minutes and perform well, especially in these conditions, with everything going on with the pandemic, being in a hotel away from home, in hot weather…obviously it adds a lot of minutes at the end of the game, but it’s something that’s needed throughout the game.”

On giving up the goal from the first game to then coming up huge for the team with a couple of big saves tonight (clean slate!) …
“I mean, I think the goal I gave up against Kansas City is a perfect example of what it’s like to play your first game in four months.

There are things that you do that don’t always work your way, and that comes from making mistakes and learning from them, but tonight I felt like I was able to focus and make the saves that I could for my team and at the end of the day that’s my job. So each game I’m just trying to improve little by little, so as long as I can continue to do that, I feel like I’m in a good place.”

On how a 10:30 p.m. start affects a keeper’s routine…
“Honestly, I forgot what time it was when we were playing the game. I went in at halftime and it just felt like we were in a normal game, to be honest. You just end up sleeping a little bit later in the day and your routine really stays the same kind of throughout the whole day.”

MINNESOTA UNITED MIDFIELDER JAN GREGUS

On what it means to get a hard-fought point at this stage of the tournament in these conditions…

“I mean it was the same for both teams, so, no excusing that, and it was a little bit different than the first. We were used to playing a little bit earlier, but other than that the preparation was similar to the normal times, so I think normal for us.

On how the game changes when you have the extra stoppage time from water breaks…
“Yeah, like Tyler said the more minutes the better. Obviously it helped us in the first game with the stoppage time, but I don’t think there was a lot of stoppage time today, maybe not so much…but in general the more we play the better for us and the more chances we have to win the game. Today we had [chances] also, but 0-0 at the end…We had a few chances to score, but it is what it is.”

On how tonight’s result sets the team up for the next game in terms of getting into the knock-out stages…
“Well, if somebody said to us that “you’re going to have four points after two games,” I think we would take it. Obviously we wanted to win tonight, but I think it was a fair draw to be honest, and chances on both sides, so kind of a 50-50 game, but we had good possession obviously. With the last game to go in the group, and hopefully, winning for us is still very important and I think we also improved a little bit with the ball today. It was not perfect the first game, was not perfect today again, but yeah like Tyler said, little by little we get better, we get the flow we want to have and I just hope we’re going to continue like that and keep getting points.”

On the difficulty of playing in the heat and humidity during the middle of the night….
“Oh not at all, not at all. I think we are good – physically prepared and it doesn’t make any difference, to be honest, we are well-prepared and we are here to fight, we are here to win, and humidity and hot weather doesn’t make a change and we don’t want that to be an excuse or something. We are well-prepared and that’s our job in quotes. Yeah, so like I said we are here to work hard and in any condition.”

UP NEXT Minnesota United vs. Colorado Rapids
ESPN Wide World of Sports | Orlando, Florida
7.22.20 | MLS is Back Tournament presented by Heineken | MLS Group Stage Game No. 3
9:30 p.m. CT (ESPN, MNUFC Radio on SKOR North)

Source: Release

The post #MLSisBACK: MINNESOTA HOLDS ON POINTS IN SCORELESS TIE WITH RSL appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo