• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

SDSU MEN’S SOCCER NAMES BRYCE CREGAN ASSISTANT COACH

C

Chris Rael

Bryce Cregan Named New Assistant Coach for SDSU Men’s Soccer​

SDSU Men’s soccer has named a new assistant coach to its staff ahead of the team’s matchup versus Oregon State. Bryce Cregan joins the Aztecs following a successful playing and coaching career at University of Pittsburgh.

COLLEGE SOCCER NEWS: San Diego State University Men’s Soccer head coach Ryan Hopkins has announced the hiring of Bryce Cregan as the new assistant coach. Cregan arrives following a three-year stint with the University of Pittsburgh, currently ranked No. 1 in the country.

“We are thrilled to welcome Bryce to the Aztec Family!” coach Hopkins said. “He comes highly-recommended from some of the top minds in college soccer and I look forward to him joining our athletic department.”

Cregan excelled as defender at the University of Akron (2014-15) and then at Pittsburgh (2016-17) before joining the Panther’s staff after graduating.

“I am excited for the opportunity to work with Coach Hopkins and Aguilar to help develop our student-athletes into winning people and soccer players,” Cregan explained. “I am honored to have the opportunity to coach in the Pac-12 and I can’t wait to share my experiences as a player and a coach to help the Aztecs become the best versions of themselves.”

Bryce Cregan Named New Assistant Coach for SDSU Men's Soccer

Pittburgh is ranked No. 1 in the country, having gone 7-1-0 in the fall portion of the 2020-21 season and currently 13-2-0 and 9-1-0 in the competitive ACC. The Panthers are on top of the national leaderboard in goals scored and are in fifth place in goal differential.

In 2019, Pitt earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history since 1965. The Panthers advanced to ACC Tournament semifinals and earned a victory over No. 1 Virginia in the regular season.

Cregan, a native of Dallastown, Pennsylvania, was a member of the U.S. U17 National Team and was named a NSCAA All-American. In his first two seasons at Akron, he started 12 matches as a freshman and helped the Zips record 15 shutouts in his two years. Akron qualified for the 2015 NCAA College Cup.

Bryce Cregan Named New Assistant Coach for SDSU Men's Soccer
Bryce Cregan Named New Assistant Coach for SDSU Men’s Soccer

Cregan was named team captain and started 32 matches on the Panther back line.

“Bryce’s playing and coaching journey at Pittsburgh mirrors what we are trying to do here at San Diego State,” Hopkins explained. “His experiences will be invaluable as we push the program to places it has never been before. As a former U-17 US national team defender himself and final four participant, he understands the rigors of the student-athlete experience and will be a great role model.”

On Saturday, Cregan will join the sideline for the Aztecs versus Oregon State. Kickoff is at 2:00 p.m. PT.

“I want to thank the search committee for their support and giving me this opportunity,” Cregan said. “I also want to thank my family and everyone who has shown their support for me throughout my coaching journey including Jay Vidovich, Michael Behonick and Rich Costanzo at the University of Pittsburgh for believing in me as a player and a coach. I wouldn’t be where I am today without their guidance.”

Media Credit: SDSU Athletics

The post SDSU MEN’S SOCCER NAMES BRYCE CREGAN ASSISTANT COACH appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo