• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

BOB TURNER WINS CAL SOUTH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION WITH HUGE MAJORITY

D

Diane Scavuzzo

Bob Turner Built Presidio Soccer League and Now Can Turn His Talents To Cal South

As president of Presidio Soccer League, Bob Turner built the San Diego youth soccer league into an amazingly well respected and vibrant organization. Turner is straightforward and knows how to navigate all the traditional turmoil of youth soccer. With a great deal of support from the youth soccer clubs, Turner was just voted president of Cal South.

Updated: US Youth Soccer‘s Cal South has elected a new president. Bob Turner won the election with an overwhelming majority of votes, clearly ousting the current president Cindy Quan.

image-8.png

With decades of experience growing the beautiful game, Turner is different than many of the political candidates gracing the offices of organized youth sports. While there are many exceptional leaders in American youth soccer, there are those who sometimes forget their main responsibility is to the good of the game.

“I am excited to hear the news that Bob Turner has been elected to become the new president of Cal South. I have known Bob for over 23 years and he really understands the soccer climate in So Cal,” said Tim Woodcock, CEO Liverpool FC International Academy. “Turner’s outstanding work and successes with the Presidio League speaks for itself and he is exactly what we need at Cal South.”

“Turner has a history of making big decisions that have ultimately improved and conserved Presidio. Given the opportunity, I’m confident that he can take Cal South to the next level.”

Tim Woodcock, CEO Liverpool FC International Academy

Not seeking the office for the power one assumes comes with the job, Turner ran for office to try to stop the erosion of Cal South.

Once one of the most prestigious of the 55 US Youth Soccer state associations, Cal South has suffered from years of political backstabbing and in-fighting on the board. Turner vows to refocus the organization, reminding everyone why they became involved in the first place — to keep kids as well as adults enjoying the beautiful game.

According to a report, Turner won by approximately 160 votes with the other two candidates splitting fairly evenly the balance of the total to 280. Clearly, living in a Democracy, Turner is the people’s choice.

Southern California’s youth soccer clubs want Turner to reign in the discourse at Cal South, and as Rick La Salle, Director SDDA Girls said, “set a new tone for the people.”

Another issue of concern has been an increased discussion of whether or not the grass was greener over at US Club — with several clubs pondering if they should make the switch. Cal South’s neighbor, Cal North used to be one of the largest US Youth Soccer state associations and has been steadily losing clubs and players to US Club for years.

“We are excited to see Bob Turner get the opportunity to step into Cal South and bring leadership, innovation, and make impactful decisions that are positive for everyone in the game.”

Noah Gins, CEO – Albion Soccer Club

“Cal South is very fortunate to have you and I am excited for the future of all of our players and leagues,” said Ziggy Korytoski, former ASC San Diego head coach.

While the reasons a state association succeeds or fails is often different, the one truth is that the organization must answer to its members. Turner has always excelled at connecting with people and inspiring intelligent solutions. From former professional players who now lead youth soccer clubs like ChaCha Namdar to Denyce Cooper who was hired by Cal South years ago to try to evaluate operations, Turner had widespread support.

Surf Soccer’s Jeremy McDonald said, “Bob Turner earned our vote to become president though his tireless efforts to grow the game and do what is in the best interest of the players.”

“As the new President of CalSouth, Bob Turner will make a positive impact on CalSouth and our teams, players and clubs,” said Jim Madrid, CEO AST.

“You will be a great president for Cal South, I’m sure you will bring fresh air, way of thinking and growth to our organization.”

Ramon Vazquez, Xolos Academy
Bob-Turner-is-running-for-Cal-South-President-2020.jpg

Bob Turner and his wife

“I am honored to be elected as the President of Cal South. I want to thank all of those that have supported me for many years and those that voted for me,” said Turner in a statement to SoccerToday. “Those of you that didn’t vote for me, I want you to know I will work very hard to gain your trust but we MUST work together to make Cal South the best that it can be because we all deserve nothing less.”

It is the winning attitude that everyone is Cal South’s Southern California area deserves nothing less than the best that separates Turner from the rest.

“I have spent many years building a level of communication and trust as president of Presidio and I intend to continue to do so while bringing the same work ethic and inconclusiveness to all Cal South members,” said Turner.

“As most of you know, Cal South has many issues and there is much work to be done,” said Turner. “And, with the horrible Coronavirus pandemic we are facing, it is even more important for strong leadership to best handle the unprecedented challenges we are and will be enduring.”

Congratulations on Turner winning the election have come in from across the country as well as from the leadership of national governing bodies.

“No doubt many changes will take place for the good of the game.”

Rick Flores, Technical Director – New Mexico Youth Soccer

Many members of Cal South have expressed that substantial change at Cal South is and has been needed for a long time and cast their votes accordingly.

“I look forward to seeing how we can get CalSouth focused and going in the right direction. I’m always available as a sounding board or to assist in any way you need,” said Scott Waddle, Barca Academy San Diego’s President of the Board.

Turner promises to begin working with U.S. Soccer, USYSA, US Youth Soccer and other organizations immediately to make sure Cal Sout is using the best experts and resources available to best navigate the challenges going forward.

“Our sport will never be the same and we need not only to realize this but get in front of it.”

Bob Turner, president of Cal South

Turner was one of the first people in youth soccer politics to reflect on the global state of affairs with the Coronavirus COVID-19 spreading across the planet like wildfire.

Voting for the president of Cal South ended on March 27 and election results will officially be announced on March 31, 2020, or shortly thereafter.

There is an issue with the bylaws whereas Turner being the president of Presidio is a conflict with being president of Cal South, however, the membership of Cal South does not seem to care.

The youth soccer clubs support Turner for president.

Many of the clubs in Presidio do not want him to step down and Turner, who still has to earn his salary at Presidio to support his family is exploring options. A change in the bylaws would eliminate this issue.

Read: BOB TURNER WANTS TO BE PRESIDENT OF USYS CAL SOUTH

The post BOB TURNER WINS CAL SOUTH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION WITH HUGE MAJORITY appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo