• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

JEAN ANTOINE JOINS CAL UNITED STRIKERS AFTER WINNING NISA CHAMPIONSHIP

• Thread starter Hector Trujillo
  • Start date
H

Hector Trujillo

Goalkeeper Antoine Returns Spring 2021 to Southern California​

Fans Favorite Goalkeeper Jean Antoine comes back to Southern California’s familiar turf for the Spring 2021 season. Antoine previously played for NPSL ASC SD and NISA’s 1904 FC.

After contemplating retirement during the offseason after his team, Detroit City FC, won the NISA Fall 2020 Championship in dramatic fashion over Oakland Roots SC, Jean Antoine found himself at a crossroads.

Would he call it a career or give it another go playing the sport that he loves?

Luckily for all of us who have followed his career from the start, Antoine decided on the latter and now finds himself in his old stomping grounds of Southern California as the goalkeeper California United Strikers FC.

Jean Antoine at Detroit City FC during the 2020 fall season

California United Strikers President and General Manager Michael Collins has watched Antoine since the opening match in San Diego against 1904 FC and believes her performed great in the 2020 NISA Championship.

“Jean Antoine Is a high quality keeper,” said Collins. “I don’t expect him to be with us for very long as he should be at the next level sooner than later.”

“With Jean, Steven and Mitch, Cal United has the best keepers in the League.”

Michael Collins – President & General Manager, California United Strikers

“I thought I was done in October and was planning to retire, but my agent believed in me and saw my potential to continue my career”, said Antoine. “

“My Agent reached out to Cal United Strikers on my behalf and before I knew it, I was here,” said the 27-year-old Haitian who began his professional career in Mexico in 2013 playing for the Monterrey Flash as it made its debut in the Professional Arena Soccer League (now the Major Arena Soccer League).

Antoine protected the net for San Diego’s ASC SD (Albion SC Pros) of the National Premier Soccer League from 2016 to 2019 before joining the professional ranks of San Diego 1904 FC in the fall of 2019.

The fact that Antoine played for San Diego’s 1904 for two seasons increases the existing Southern California rivalry between these two neighboring squads. Connected by the I5 freeway, the competition between San Diego and Orange County is well known.

“1904 has a strong philosophy, it will be fun to play against them,” Antoine said. “I am friends with the coaching staff and some guys on the team. It will be amazing, we used to work together.

“1904 FC knows my skill set and I know theirs, so it will be a battle.”

Jean Antoine, Cal United Strikers

Antione’s most recent stint with Detroit City FC will undoubtedly be another tool in his arsenal that can only serve to continue making Antoine a formidable obstacle for any opponent. During the recent fall season, Antoine saw quality playing time as Detroit City FC made its title run compering against teams like Chattanooga FC, LA Force and Oakland Roots (who know plays in the USL Championship) which are opponents of the highest level.”Playing with Detroit helped me develop my decision making.

Jean Antoine huddled with 1904 FC teammates before a match during the fall 2019 season

Playing matches, instead of only training, is “critical”, according to Antoine. “The celebration at Detroit made all the hard work worth it. Getting tested all the time, playing and training during a pandemic, the NISA tournament was a great experience and winning it was very sweet.”

Now, as he enters the new season with California United Strikers FC, Antoine hopes to use all of these experiences to help his new team reach new levels of accomplishment. Back in the fall of 2019, Cal United were crowned NISA West Coast Champions in a dramatic penalty kick shootout over LA Force.

“I am learning a new philosophy from Coach Don Ebert and I am learning every day, and meshing with my new teammates,” said Antoine.

“This is special and I am excited for the spring season.”

Jean Antoine, California Untied Strikers Goalkeeper

Don;t Miss the Preseason Excitment: Cal United Strikers takes on San Diego Loyal on March 13th in Chula Vista as part of their preseason preparations.

Top Image: Jean Antoine with fellow Cal United Strikers teammate goalkeeper Steven Barrera. Photo Credit: Cal United Strikers FC
Jean Antoine at 1904 FC – Photo Credit: 1904 FC

The post JEAN ANTOINE JOINS CAL UNITED STRIKERS AFTER WINNING NISA CHAMPIONSHIP appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo