• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

3X OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST INSPIRES NEW JERSEY ODP PLAYERS

S

Staff

Heather Mitts Shares Her Soccer Journey with New Jersey Youth Soccer Olympians​

Three-time Olympic Goal Medalist Heather Mitts Hosts Exclusive Webinar For Youth Soccer Players

Players from the New Jersey Olympic Development Program (ODP) recently had the unique opportunity to relive the extraordinary journey of U.S. Women’s National Team veteran and three-time Olympic Goal Medalist Heather Mitts.

Heather-Mitts-.jpg

Hosting the exclusive webinar with Mitts was NJYS Technical Director James Galanis, who was also her personal coach for more than a decade.

“Our goal is to continue to make our players aware of the mental tools needed to play at the highest level,” said Galanis.

“Heather’s story highlighted how important having a strong mentality really is.”

James Galanis, NJYS Technical Director

Mitts took the audience through her younger years and emphasized the sacrifices she had to make in order to reach the next level.

“I like how relatable Heather was to us,” said Alex Farina (2005 White). “She was in our exact position (playing ODP). And we learned that she struggled at first, but eventually was given the opportunity to show her talent. She was persistent and never mentally gave up. It acts as an inspiration to every young player.”

“They loved her story of fighting through adversity and always giving 100%. These are lessons that will stick with them for a long time to come.”

Josh Schultz, NJYS Parent

“It was an incredible opportunity to have Heather Mitts share her story with my kids,” said Josh Schultz, whose children Hayden (2008 Red) and Madison (2007 White) play ODP.

With over 100 games for the U.S. Women’s National Team, Mitts shared many adverse moments that further fueled her career and presented the opportunity to play in one of the best eras of U.S. Women’s National Team history.

Does it take more than soccer skills to become an Olympic Gold medalist on the soccer field? What about controlling what people often reference as the controllable? Mitts answered these questions as well.

“Fitness was something I knew I could control. Being fit gave my coaches the confidence to play me.”

Heather Mitts – U.S. Women’s National Team veteran and three-time Olympic Goal Medalist

“Being fit gave my coaches the confidence to play me. They knew I would have the ability to work hard for an entire game,” said Mitts.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-01-at-9.34.31-PM-1.png

Mitts also took the opportunity to present her fitness app Train Like Legends.

This soccer specific fitness app gives users the opportunity to apply the same fitness techniques that helped her throughout her career.

“I believe Heather Mitts has inspired a whole new generation of youth soccer players to be all they can be,” said ODP head coach Mark Dutton.

This Mental Toughness webinar is the first of a series of webinars to be held this winter for New Jersey ODP participants.

Almost 600 players from more than 50 clubs around the state tuned in and benefited from the inspirational story behind Mitts’ success as an international soccer player.

The post 3X OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST INSPIRES NEW JERSEY ODP PLAYERS appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo