• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

BOB TURNER LEAVES CAL SOUTH

D

Diane Scavuzzo

Cal South’s President Bob Turner Steps Down​

Late yesterday, the US Youth Soccer Cal South President, Bob Turner, announced he will step down, effectively immediately.

“I am not leaving the game,” said Bob Turner who vows to still represent San Diego’s youth soccer clubs, and most importantly, the players.

Turner won the Cal South presidential election with a huge majority in 2020, just as the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic was settling in.

Citing the consistent frustration and stress as well as other factors, Turner has resigned due to medical reasons. 10 to 12 hour days were the norm for Turner who was known for being on the phone constantly. “My family was bringing me dinner at my desk several nights a week,” said Turner who looks forward to focusing his energies on the San Diego market in this critical time as we emerge from the pandemic.

Read: CAL SOUTH’S BOB TURNER ON RETURN TO PLAY REQUIREMENTS

Since the early days, Turner has championed the best interests of kids playing soccer. His passion for the game of soccer as well as his commitment to unity and collaboration are well recognized.

Cal-South-elected-BobTurner-president-2020.jpg

Turner has worked with the Cal South organization for over 25 years. Turner had to relinquish his role as the president of San Diego’s youth soccer league, Presidio Soccer League, to assume leadership of Cal South. Turner became the Executive Director of Presidio to avoid conflicts with the state associations bylaws.

Presidio is one of the largest youth soccer leagues in America with over 22,000 competitive soccer players registered in the 2019/20 season. In addition, many clubs in Presidio also have recreational players, totaling an additional 15,000 youths.

“Southern California should be the premier area for youth soccer in America.”

Bob Turner

Read: BOB TURNER WINS CAL SOUTH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION WITH HUGE MAJORITY

As president of Cal South, Turner has worked to established improved governance and streamline processes. Turner sought out the role of Cal South president to help lead southern California’s tremendous potential and track record of player development. Believing that Southern California in general and America’s Finest City in particular should experience significant growth of the game, Turner vows to stay in the game — just not at Cal South.

Read: BOB TURNER WANTS TO BE PRESIDENT OF USYS CAL SOUTH

The article has been modified since it was initially published

The post BOB TURNER LEAVES CAL SOUTH appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo