• Welcome to SD Soccer Talk the newest and greatest place for all your Soccer Discussions! Our aim is to provide you with an awesome space to talk, share and discuss what's going on in the San Diego Soccer Community. To be able to join in the discussion, you do need to register a free account. Registration is easy, and it only takes a few minutes! Click here to register!

THE NEW FILM YOUNG BECKHAM INSPIRES US ALL TO KEEP WORKING ON OUR DREAMS

D

Diane Scavuzzo

Already Past 100,000 Views, This New Soccer Film Inspires Players To Dream Big and Never Give Up​

Just launched, the new soccer flick YOUNG BECKHAM is making a big impact in America. Here is the exclusive back story to the film along with a link to see the preview as well as the full film.

Every once in a while there is a film that can inspire — a story of overcoming adversity or a tale of reaching for the stars while overcoming challenge. These films have the ability to lift our desires from hopes to goals that we refuse to quit. These are the stories that make us brave, that get us excited about how we can turn a wish into a reality.

This is the perfect time for the film YOUNG BECKHAM.

The Coronavirus’ impact on soccer was felt around the globe. An unprecedented number of games and practices were canceled and many hopeful players with big dreams sidelined — left without their coaches and team training.

YOUNG BECKHAM is a film about never giving up. Check out the preview and watch the film — links to both are below, and enjoy.

And, if you are one of the millions of David Beckham fans, even better. There is great footage of Beckham’s highlights. Plus, listening to a young soccer player who idolizes Beckham recount stories of his hero’s triumphs (and a not so brilliant moves) is absolutely charming. There are even cute shots of this “Young Beckham” as a toddler shooting the soccer ball.

What advice did Beckham give this aspiring youth player? Watch the film to find out.

Interview with Jared Sagal on the new film YOUNG BECKHAM​

Diane Scavuzzo: Where did the idea of YOUNG BECKHAM come about?

Jared Sagal: Well, your readers may remember that I produced a series called YOUNG RONALDO, which was a five part series starring my nephew and current San Diego Surf player Simon Sagal.

The series became one of the most watched soccer video series of all time on YouTube amassing more than 60 Million views and still going strong actually.

One night my family and I were walking home from dinner in Beverly Hills and out of the corner of my eye I saw a tattooed hand closing the door behind him of a small family owned crepe shop. I stopped in my tracks as the rest of my family went on ahead not knowing why I had decided to stay back.

Read: YOUNG RONALDO SHORT FILM INSPIRES SOCCER LOVERS

I had recognized his hand tattoo because I share the same tattoo artist as Becks (Mark Mahoney/Shamrock Social Club ).

I quietly gestured for my son Brighton to jog back towards me. I told him I think David Beckham just walked inside in this place.

Now, keep in my my son just happened to be wearing a full Manchester United kit and, yes, with Beckham 7 on the back of his jersey.

Then came the moment that my entire family started to walk back toward us sensing something was going on. I asked Brighton if he wanted to go inside and say hi to his football hero.

My son was a lot more courageous than me and without hesitating, opened up the door and went right in.

And just as expected, Becks was there waiting in an empty booth for his to go order in the back of the restaurant. I walked my son up to David who immediately noticed Brighton’s Man U top and asked “Who’s on the back of that?”

Brighton turned around and from then on the two of them shared a wonderful conversation about life, dreams and football.

I got out of the way and let Brighton have his magical moment.

David’s banana, strawberry and nutella crepe was ready and I jumped in to kindly thank David for being so cool, shake his hand and snapped a quick pic of Brighton and David.

A few days, later I had the idea of trying to see if I could again capture the same lightning in a bottle as I did with YOUNG RONALDO, but this time try it with Beckham. That is how it all began.

Diane Scavuzzo: How long did it take you to film Young Beckham?

Jared Sagal: It was actually quite a long process because we were supposed to finish up the final scenes in Manchester, England but because of the COVID-19 pandemic, we got stuck there for three months. We had some challenges on how we were going to complete the soccer scenes since the field were closed and the soccer clubs being shut down but luckily, with the help of some great friends in the UK, we managed to get it done.

Preview of YOUNG BECKHAM – Scroll Down for link to Full Film

Overall the project took about a year to do.

Diane Scavuzzo: What do you hope the audience gets from watching Young Beckham?

Jared Sagal: I actually hope that we get a very similar emotional response as we got from YOUNG RONALDO.

The idea is to inspire and motivate young soccer payers.

Especailly players who may not be having the easiest time chasing their soccer dream, or any dream really.

As cheesy as it sounds, if one young player watches this film and gets the inspiration to not give up and keep grinding — we’ll than it will have all been worth it.

The character Young Beckham represents every kid battling to become great.

Diane Scavuzzo: Did your brother, Marc Sagal who is a Sports Psychologist help co produce on Young Beckham, like he did with Young Ronaldo?

Jared Sagal: Yes. We work well together on this kind of thing. I usually show him a first draft. He tells me it sucks then I go back to work until it passes his standards.

Seriously, we do have a pretty unique process that works well and given we both played at a high level, we want to make sure all the soccer scenes are as realistically shot as possible.

There is noting worse than soccer films that use actors who can’t pass, shoot or receive a ball properly. It’s the worst.

Diane Scavuzzo: I noticed that person who plays the role of Young Beckham’s coach is former professional footballer Ryan Hopper. He trains Manchester United midfielders Bruno Fernandes and Fred. How did that come about?

Jared Sagal: Well, first off Ryan was amazing in this film. Given that he had never done anything like this before, he was really natural and seemed to love the process. I have known Ryan for about two years and had met him through a good friend of mine Steven Crane who coaches at Manchester Uniteds Academy. Crane introduced me to Hopper while we were in Manchester and we got on great. He worked a lot with Brighton while we were over there and the two of them have a really great bond.

Ryan is a great coach and motivator and trains top players from many big clubs at the moment but I think deep inside he really wants to be a big Hollywood movie star. Maybe this will help him!

Diane Scavuzzo: Tell me about your son Brighton who plays YOUNG BECKHAM.

Jared Sagal: Brighton is a pretty cool 10 year old kid. He’s been playing since he could stand and to this day he continues to train hard.

Given that I have been his coach for 10 years it’s not always an easy path but we have a very special relationship.

He is on a pretty unique pathway given that he does not play club soccer and is not affiliated with any one team here in the US.

We have come up with our own customized development approach for him. Lots of different training environments, heavily focusing on the cognitive concepts and loads of time working on technique.

We don’t worry about lack of full field games and long drives to and from trainings and tournaments for a few touches on the ball.

At 10, my opinion is that it’s all about building the strongest possible technical base and understanding concepts. We will see if this experiment ends up working, but for now we have a lots less pressure and a lot more touches.

Brighton has had the opportunity to train with top academies throughout Europe including West Ham United, Manchester City, Manchester United, Stoke City, Herthe Berlin and others.

The Film

Diane Scavuzzo: Has David Beckham seen the film yet?

Jared Sagal: I’m not really sure. The movie has reached over 100,000 views in it’s first month so maybe one of those was David. The dream would be if he would TWEET it out. Then we would be off to the races!

Diane Scavuzzo: What does Brighton hopes will happen from the film?

Jared Sagal: I think his dream would obviously be if David Beckham actually sees it and like it. Other than that he continues to chase his soccer dream working hard and driving his father crazy at the same time!

Diane Scavuzzo: Will there be a YOUNG BECKHAM part 2?

Jared Sagal: I really hope so. I hope people love this film and ask for a second part. Any excuse to get back to Manchester would be welcomed.

I have made some really great friends over there and it truly is football mad over there so being able to have Brighton surrounded by such a passionate football culture is game changing.

Here is a look at the story behind the film:

Watch: IN YOUR FACE SOCCER VIDEOS MAKE CRITICAL LESSON IN SOCCER REAL FOR KIDS

YOUNG BECKHAM Write Up:

“YOUNG BECKHAM is the inspirational story of a young boy battling his demons of self doubt to chase his dream of being a top soccer player. With the help of his coach, parents and Manchester United’s David Beckham talking poster he learns that to conquer his opponents he must have belief. If you like watch soccer highlights, David Beckham Free Kicks, Bend It Like Beckham, Soccer goals , motivational sports films, Soccer documentaries or videos showing top bin soccer goals this may be the right movie for you!”

The post THE NEW FILM YOUNG BECKHAM INSPIRES US ALL TO KEEP WORKING ON OUR DREAMS appeared first on SoccerToday.

Continue reading...

SoccerToday News from Diane Scavuzzo